Berliner Philharmoniker, Sir Simon Rattle and Mitsuko Uchida – Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1-5 (2019)
FLAC (tracks) 24 bit/48 kHz | Time – 03:01:23 minutes | 1,67 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Masters, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
There is hardly a better way to approach Ludwig van Beethoven than through his piano concertos. Beethoven’s own instrument was the piano, and in his improvisations – which made him the darling of the Viennese salons – he merged virtuosity and unbridled expression. The piano concertos give a clear idea of these performances. At the same time, they are prime examples of Beethoven’s ability to create large orchestral works with seemingly endless arcs of tension.
The complete recording of all five works with Mitsuko Uchida and Sir Simon Rattle was one of the most spectacular projects of the Berliner Philharmoniker during the Rattle era – and at the same time the highlight of the collaboration between the orchestra and the pianist, which began in 1984.
The performances were given a rapturous reception in the auditorium and in the press – as one critic wrote, the audience was overwhelmed by a “collective sense of happiness”. With vibrant freshness, the performances brought the whole combative energy of these works to life. At the same time, they revealed Beethoven’s incomparable spirituality, which – according to Mitsuko Uchida – “allows us to see to the end of the universe”.
Please Note: JAPAN, CHINA & HONG KONG – For contractual reasons, we have been asked not to sell this product to customers in Japan, China and Hong Kong. We apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.
01. Piano Concerto No. 1 in C Major, Op. 15: I. Allegro con brio (17:38)
02. Piano Concerto No. 1 in C Major, Op. 15: II. Largo (11:22)
03. Piano Concerto No. 1 in C Major, Op. 15: III. Rondo. Allegro (8:52)
04. Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat Major, Op. 19: I. Allegro con brio (14:50)
05. Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat Major, Op. 19: II. Adagio (9:17)
06. Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat Major, Op. 19: III. Rondo. Molto allegro (6:18)
07. Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 37: I. Allegro con brio (17:47)
08. Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 37: II. Largo (10:37)
09. Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 37: III. Rondo. Allegro – Presto (9:19)
10. Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58: I. Allegro moderato (20:08)
11. Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58: II. Andante con moto (5:28)
12. Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58: III. Rondo. Vivace – Presto (10:10)
13. Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 73: I. Allegro (21:04)
14. Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 73: II. Adagio un poco mosso (8:24)
15. Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 73: III. Rondo. Allegro, ma non troppo (10:15)
Mitsuko Uchida (piano)
Sir Simon Rattle (conductor)