Valentina Tóth – Ernő Dohnányi: Ruralia Hungarica / Humoresken in Form Einer Suite (2018)
FLAC (tracks) 24-bit/192 kHz | Time – 01:03:03 minutes | 2,04 GB | Genre: Classical
Studio Master, Official Digital Download | Digital Booklet, Front Cover | © Challenge Classics
As a composer, Dohnányi, whose oeuvre mainly consists of piano music, deep in his heart always remained a musician grounded in nineteenth-century Romanticism.
Dohnányi wrote Ruralia hungarica in 1923 and gave it a real Hungarian touch by including a wide range of folk melodies in all movements.
The Humoresken Op. 17 from 1907 date from when he taught in Berlin. They are basically romantic in nature and now and then reminiscent of Brahms’s piano music. As the name suggests, these are more or less light-hearted character pieces, in which he draws on musical forms from the eighteenth century.
“Although they were not musically trained, my parents taught me to love Bartók and Kodály. I treasured their music from the time I was young, and only became acquainted with Dohnányi’s work much later, when I came in contact with it by accident. It was romantic, virtuoso and incredibly well written for the instrument. What more can you ask as a concert pianist? And although he may only seem rather less distinctly Hungarian than Bartók, many aspects of his country are reflected in his work. I remember when I was working on the Ruralia hungarica, my father recognised many of the melodies from the songs he had learned as a boy.” – Valentina Tóth
01. Ruralia Hungarica, Op. 32a: I. Allegretto, molto tenero
02. Ruralia Hungarica, Op. 32a: II. Presto, ma non tanto
03. Ruralia Hungarica, Op. 32a: III. Andante poco moto, rubato
04. Ruralia Hungarica, Op. 32a: IV. Vivace
05. Ruralia Hungarica, Op. 32a: V. Allegro grazioso
06. Ruralia Hungarica, Op. 32a: VI. Adagio non troppo
07. Ruralia Hungarica, Op. 32a: VII. Molto vivace
08. Humoresken in Form einer Suite, Op. 17: I. Marsch. Allegro moderato
09. Humoresken in Form einer Suite, Op. 17: II. Toccata. Allegro molto
10. Humoresken in Form einer Suite, Op. 17: III. Pavane mit Variationen. Allegro, quasi Andante
11. Humoresken in Form einer Suite, Op. 17: IV. Pastorale. Andante con moto
12. Humoresken in Form einer Suite, Op. 17: V. Introduction und Fuge. Allegro
13. Pastorale on a Hungarian Christmas Song